Friday, January 23, 2009

Recycler's Obsession II


In my last post, I talked about needing to reclaim the fiber that came off a sweater I had fulled. Here's the result, a needle felted blue bird. She is made from white roving, with orange and black details also needle felted on as roving (sometimes people think that the colors are painted on). The blue is the fiber from the sweater. It is a lovely color, but it didn't work as well as I had hoped it would. The fiber was already partly felted (making it hard to felt), and quite nubbly, which gave the surface of the bird a really nubbly look and feel. That made it seem more like a toy to me than a model. So I carded the fiber, which did make it smoother, but the fibers were very short, so they weren't able to give the tail any strength. I need to use fiber from my stash for that.
All in all, I'm glad I tried it, and I like my bird. I've never kept a bird I made, so I'm happy to have her hanging in my window!

2 comments:

  1. Never ever? My goodness! I'd want to keep all the first ones, lol. Anyway it's cute! The nubbliness seems to work well :)

    ReplyDelete