Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Icy Day Birds


It's being a real winter in our corner of the world. Our first snow/ice storm came along today. I hear there may be more on Friday.
Anyway, while I was shoveling, I noticed that for the first 45 minutes or so, I didn't hear any birds. It was quite silent. Then as lunchtime drew on they started moving in. First I heard the red-belly woodpecker, then the downy; next came the nuthatches and the titmice. It wasn't till I got inside and was eating my own lunch that I saw the little guy above at the feeder - the red breasted nuthatch.

This is a Great Kiskadee. He's from Latin America, and shows up in south Texas, too. I love his coloring and markings, so I had to make him. This time of year, when I don't have a lot of shows, is a great time for me to felt whoever I want!

No comments:

Post a Comment