Friday, April 16, 2010

Frugality Friday

I said it last week (I think) and I'll say it again: being part of the community who follows Frugal Girl has really helped me to be mindful of what is in my fridge and to use it before it goes to waste. I do confess that I had to let half a banana go to the compost because it was just too slimy to go into my smoothie, but I did use that other half and had a smoothie at lunch when I normally would not have. Then, yesterday morning, I had a hot cereal of rice and oats, and added strawberries along with my raisins and flax. If I hadn't done that, the rice and strawberries may have languished till they had to feed the compost, too.

All that said, I'm not sure how much I really count the stuff that languishes as waste, since it does go to compost, which eventually ends up nourishing us anyway.

Another happy frugality in action is that I've got a bit of my garden planted now. Last night my sweetie volunteered to cook so I could play in the garden, so now we have lettuce, snap peas, spinach, broccoli rabe, broccoli and swiss chard planted. I know I could have done this a month ago, but the days just go by too fast...

No comments:

Post a Comment